Wednesday 31 March 2021

Coming UP!! in The Outerglobe in April

 Coming UP!! in The Outerglobe in April


RADIO
I have been making my radio shows from home for more than a year now as I started the first week of lockdown when the Resonance FM studios closed - we have new premises now and I am looking forward to the day when we can broadcast live again. I enjoy creating my shows however it is somewhat exhausting as well. I do interviews over Zoom - the revelation, certainly for me of lockdown. 



Debbie Golt takes African music and wider arts and culture as her starting point. This week: Debbie interviews Grammy-awarded producer/writer/activist Ian Brennan and outstanding documentary-filmmaker/photographer/activist Marilena Umuhoza Delli about their new album, Witch Camp (Ghana) – I’ve Forgotten Now Who I Used to Be. In keeping with their profile the album enables the voiceless to be heard, raising serious issues beautifully. Visit outerglobe.co.uk for more information. Tweet to @outerglobe. [Repeated Monday 4am.]




This week I was delighted and honoured to talk with Grammy- awarded producer/writer/activist Ian Brennan and outstanding documentary-filmmaker/photographer/activist Marilena Umuhoza Delli about their new album Witch Camp (Ghana) I've Forgotten Now Who I Used To Be on Six Degrees. Like their previous collaborations this gives a voice to those who would otherwise not be heard and highlights major issues. Women accused of witchcraft live in camps which are a mix of refuge and danger all because they may have mental health issues, be disabled, or in some cases have land that others covet that they are unable to defend as widows.  Other people the pair have worked with and recorded include inmates of Zomba Prison , Malawi's top security unit, Tanzanaian Albanism Collective - albinos banished to an island community in Tanzania where again they are safe but ostracised, Malawi Mouse Boys gospel group coming out of extreme poverty , Khmer Rouge survivors and the marvellous Ustad Saami from Pakistan the last of his kind singing Sufi music, 

LAST WEEK
I interviewed Tony Koni (Bowering) and Vijay Venkat  of Rafiki Jazz the day before the launch of their wonderful new album NDUGGU DUST which is a tour de force recorded remotely yet together in lockdown using app Jamulus. It's a beautiful fusion and unique sound with all the voices of the origins of band members shining through.  Here's the Mixcloud Link










No comments:

Post a Comment